"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Saturday, March 29, 2014

Two women

Picture this: two women in their 40s sitting side by side, colouring in pictures with crayons in our hospital ward. 

One's mother tongue is Lingala; the other English; yet somehow they manage to communicate in basic french. With lots of laughing, gesticulating, miming and pointing. 

One has no children - they all died; and one has three boys. 

One is here to get assistance via surgery - the other is here to serve. 

But who is helping who? Who is supporting who? Who goes away feeling blessed?

A nurse friend encouraged me to befriend another patient recently. I went over the excuses in my head - too tired, too busy, too much going on, visiting hours clash. I know they are all a bit flimsy really. 

Especially when I see Annie's smile. 

Especially when we "marchez" down the passageway together.

Especially when I put my arm around her shoulders, and she puts hers around my waist and we walk in step like sisters.

Different countries, different backgrounds, different languages. Still a connection grows through time.

I wonder if Annie feels as blessed by our time together as I do?

Annie's surgery was on Wednesday - she is VVF patient Onboard. Her catheter comes out on Wednesday coming. Until then, we won't know if her surgery was successful or not. Please pray for this courageous woman; for healing and for strength. 
And please thank God for the blessing of her in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment