"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Monday, September 9, 2013

A visit to the Babies home

Last Friday, 6 September, I went with a group of people from the ship to the Nou Nou babies home in Pointe Noire. The home caters for babies and children from birth to about 5 years old who have been abandoned. There were three lovely ladies on staff looking after about 16 children, the majority of which were under 18 months old. Sadly, there were three really little ones, less than a month old.
I wasn't really sure why I went. If I'm honest, part of the reason was because I had to participate in three different sites as part of the course requirements from Texas. And this particular Ministry site fitted in with my schedule.
However, I did kind of wonder what I was doing as we drove there.  I had to psych up to prepare actually and there was a fair amount of silent prayer in the car. What would I find? How would I react? What was I supposed to do? Notice all the i's. Of course, it wasn't about me at all. All I needed to do was be obedient, go and be present. So that's what I did.
Well, the babies and carers were mainly in two rooms within a complex.  The little ones held up their arms straight away ready to be picked up and cuddled.  The little guy who jumped into my arms was called Owen. He spent the first few minutes snuggled in like a baby koala.  My doubts melted away as I cuddled him back. I discovered he was seriously ticklish and had a huge smile. He also loved to play with the foam blocks and balls we brought with us.  I had a little bit of playtime with the other children as Owen stayed steadfastly on my lap or snuggled into my shoulder. I wondered what I had to offer him for these few hours? I'm not sure how he ended up at Nou Nou as I didn't ask. Somehow it didn't seem important or as important as just loving him for the time that we were there. Interestingly, when we went outside to play on the slide, Owen detached himself and started playing with the other kids and visitors on the slide. Perhaps that was all he needed - a cuddle and a few games on the floor. Is that why I was brought here?
Little Owen and I

I think it is easy anywhere to get caught up in worrying about the future all the time. We are always looking ahead - trying to plan our lives down to the last detail, making the most of our time. What if, making the most of my time that day was holding that little guy and showing him that he is loved? Was that good use of my time? Absolutely.  It reminds me of the story of the starfish by Loren Eiseley:


"While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. there were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, "It makes a difference for this one." I abandoned my writing and spent the morning throwing starfish.” 


I think it made a difference to Owen.

No comments:

Post a Comment