"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Capturing a moment


This is a photo of Annie and I together yesterday. There is a story behind this picture.  
Firstly, there are restrictions on photography in the Wards to respect patient privacy.  So it is a little challenging to get photographs with any patients you befriend.  To tell you the truth, I was not going to bother - kind of like when you are at a famous landmark and you try to capture it on camera - but you may as well enjoy the experience and buy a postcard instead.  Well, that is kind of like how I feel about Annie.  We spend about 20 - 30 minutes together each day - and I want to be fully present for her during that time, not trying to get the best shot to describe our friendship.  
Then Annie asked me if we could get a photo together. So I asked one of the official ward photographers, Michelle, if she would be able to help.  We set a time a few days ahead, I set a reminder and made sure to be there only a few minutes late.
When Michelle and I arrived at the Ward, all the patients, including Annie, were fast asleep.  A little unusual because at the same time yesterday, they were all "marchez" along the hospital passageway, singing and dancing.  So dilemna - do I wake Annie?  The nurses always tell you to wake up your patients because the visits break up the monotomy of their days in the hospital.  Still, I love my sleep and it goes against the grain to wake Annie.  Yet, Michelle is here so I feel compelled to do so.
As usual Annie is pleased to see me, even half asleep, and I feel the same.  She has this beautiful smile which appears whenever I see her.  Funnily enough, as soon as Michelle asked permission and held up her camera, Annie put on a stern face.  Neither Michelle nor I, could get her to smile.  As soon as the picture was taken, she would laugh and grin.  However, once the camera went up to Michelle's face again, she would look quite grim.  I wonder about the cultural significance of this?  Is there some meaning behind her actions?
It was an interesting experience getting our pictures taken.  Michelle however, is not a newcomer to the ward. She snapped away and managed to capture this lovely image - possibly when Annie hadn't realised she was still taking photos.  I am grateful to Michelle for her patience.  I am thankful to Annie for the idea.  And I feel blessed to spend time with both these ladies.

As an aside, Annie's catheter was removed last Saturday and she is progressing well. We won't know yet how long she will stay onboard as she learns to retrain her bladder.  In the mean time, I'm enjoying our time together and looking forward to the day where she will have her Dress ceremony and leave the ship to return whole to her husband and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment