"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Gas, Gas, Gas



Last year when we arrived onboard I found the AFRICA MERCY only had oxygen meters for use in confined spaces. Since one of my responsibilities as Third Engineer General is to maintain the Sewage Treatment System I was pretty keen to get hold of a multi gas detector. That is because Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) or more commonly known as rotten egg gas, is a by product of stagnant anaerobic sewage and can kill in very small concentrations - 15 parts per million is the 15 minute exposure level (STEL for the techos). So I approached Encore Automation from Balcatta, Western Australia whom I had previously hired two multi-gas detectors from in my last job. They very kindly donated an ex-hire GasAlert MicroClip XT multi gas detector which I am sure has saved me gassing myself several times already. Thank you Encore! Their contact details are:

http://encoresales.com.au/index.php?pages=about&mnu=6

Anyway it required calibration this summer so again I googled to find a company in the UK whilst visiting family and found Survey Express Services (SES) in Yeovil, Somerset, UK, only 5 miles from where we were staying in the UK. Trevor and his team re-calibrated it in an hour free of charge! Thanks SES! Their contact details are:

http://www.surveyexpress.co.uk/t-aboutus.aspx

Trevor from SES Yeovil with Mick and the boys
Thanks to both companies for their donations and keeping me safe. My family and I really appreciate it. And so do all the crew of the AFRICA MERCY, all the patients and everyone else who comes aboard.  Thanks for being part of the Mercy Ships team.

No comments:

Post a Comment