"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Monday, February 11, 2013

First world problems.....

Monday is my one day not at work during the week.  I do the grocery shopping and hope to do some catching up with friends.  Invariably, I fill my day up so I rush around on the day I have set aside to take some time out.  Ironic, isn't it?
Well today was no different.  However, it occurred to me that everything that I was rushing about to do was a result of a "first world problem"  For example, I was picking up a shoe cupboard because I was tired of tripping over shoes as I walked in the door of my home.  Solution, replace the current inadequate cupboard because we have too many pairs of shoes!  If we do make it to Africa later this year, how would I explain the concept of a shoe cupboard?  Or even my need to get a new one?

I then had to collect some toilet paper and paper towel for Mick's work.  Again, a first world issue.  When sanitation is a major health hazard, getting your head around toilet paper, let alone a bulk purchase for a portable office along with paper towel for hand drying, may also seem somewhat excessive.

Finally I did the grocery shopping.  Now some people enjoy this task.  I am not one of them.  I go with my list of what we need for the weeks meals and try to stick to the plan.  I was struck this morning by how abundantly available our food is.  Australia has just had several major disasters in food producing areas and still I can get more than I need, with so much choice, it can become almost overwhelming - even if you shop at German supermarkets!  What must travellers from poorer countries think when they visit a supermarket? The excess.

I suppose there is no point ruminating about all of this if we don't do anything about it.  Hopefully for us, we will be able to give up some of our "first world problems" for a period of time to serve in the developing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment