"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Church Camp

Last weekend was our bi annual church camp.  At our previous camp, it poured with rain.  And strangely enough, the exact same thing happened this time.    It absolutely bucketed down - so all the bush walking, basketball games etc were all cancelled in lieu of indoor games and chatting around the tables.
I'm a big fan of outdoor activities and feel disappointed as much as the next person when it rains and these things are cancelled. However, after a busy start to the year, it was wonderful to just chill.  I got to know a few people more because we were stuck waiting for a break in the weather together.  We couldn't do much and there was a general acceptance of this, so people kind of got on with "chill axing".

I am amazed at how refreshed I feel from that one weekend away.  This refreshment not only comes from the time away in the bush setting, but also the comfort and peace you have when a whole bunch of people are praying for you.  Mick was interviewed during the Sunday service about our hopes and plans for service with Mercy Ships and then everyone prayed for us.  And after several months of being on edge about whether we are staying or going, I'm finally at peace about this.  We can expect to find out within the month - so I know that a time frame helps a planner like me.  But more than that - knowing other people are praying for you, really does give you peace.  Like that verse - from Matthew 18:20

20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”


The other thing that I took away from this church camp is that I have untapped gifts.  I now know that I can move an Oreo cookie from my forehead to my mouth without using my hands.  How I am going to use this skill, I'm not sure.  But it was fun seeing my kids faces when I did it.  And worthwhile volunteering for the contest for the laugh it gave everyone watching.  I wish I could say that I was the only one able to do this - but two other friends are also equally skilful so I will have to look out for a further skill to develop in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment