"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Sunday, May 19, 2013

What does Success look like?

I'd be lying at present if I said I wasn't fairly terrified about what is going to happen next for us.  For starters, we have a set date for when the $$ stop - 31 May.  Living in a society where a great deal of importance is placed on what you have and what you earn - this is a mindset change that is challenging.

Secondly, in the same vein, there is the notion of living on our savings - ie there is finite amount of money and we will be taking out without putting in - at least until our house is rented.  What happens if we run out of $?  What happens if no one rents the house and not only are we taking out our living expenses and crew fees, but the bank repayments as well?

Thirdly, and for me most significantly, people keep asking about how our boys are going to cope with all of this?  That is a good question and one that we won't know the answer to until we get to the ship.  However, when I start asking questions of myself and begin to worry, I invariably end up with asking myself the questions I DO know the answers to..
Are the boys well prepared?  Do they know what to expect?  Have they seen what the ship looks like?  Do they understand what the ship does? Do they know what they will do? Can they keep in contact with friends here?  Are they having a farewell?  Are we all together?  Do they know why we are doing this? Do they trust their parents?  Do they know that they are loved?

Well, the answers are all YES.  We don't know what the future will bring but we do know that we are as prepared as we can be to face it all together. HR people are fond of saying that realistic expectations are a good predictor of a successful outcome.  We expect challenges.  We expect good days and bad days - hopefully more good than bad.  Maybe that will lead to a successful period of service.

A friend onboard said that she has never cried as much as she has during her time of service.  Neither has she ever felt more purposeful and alive.  I know I will be happy just to contribute to something that is bigger than our family that is making a difference.  That is what success looks like to me at this time.

1 comment: