"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Sunday, February 16, 2014

An eventful journey

As many of you know, my mum has been in hospital since before Christmas.  She has been very I'll with a perforated bowel and sepsis. Fortunately, she is now in the rehabilitation hospital, having moved there after 10 weeks in Royal Melbourne Hospital last week.
I wrote a blog post about how frustrated I was feeling being so far away late last year. Those feelings of frustration did not lessen over time so in early January, we decided that I would travel home to Australia  to see my Mum and support my Dad and brother and his family.  I booked my tickets on 12th January via airline websites.  Then I started counting down the days. And this is the story of my trip travelling out of Africa.
I had tried to get quotes for my airfares via two of the travel agents recommended by our organisation for offering Mariners fares. Unfortunately, they didn't reply and being new to travel in Africa, I decided to book my fares myself. I was flying to Johannesburg first direct from Point Noire using South African. Then Qantas / South African Code share to Melbourne via Perth. It all looked good on paper.
Lesson 1 - always use a travel agent to get one ticket.
I checked my e tickets for both airlines but was not careful enough with the SAA ticket - it turned out that despite saying I had paid and sending an email receipt, no money ever came out of our account which meant that I had only a reservation and not a ticket.  This I did not find out until I attempted to check in in Pointe Noire. Fortunately for me, I happened to be on the same flight as an Aussie film crew who were flying home. James, Jeff and Jason were totally brilliant in helping me out of my mess, even whilst they dealt with their own excess baggage issues. Between us, we had just enough cash to buy my ticket.
Lesson 2 - always travel with cash in Africa pref US DOLLARS
After feeling pretty great that we were all going to make the flight - it was delayed from Cotonou, Benin. And delayed enough that I missed my connection in Jo'burg. Fortunately, the airline put me up in a nice hotel room and I was able to rebook my flight the next day - at extra cost.
Lesson 3 - travel insurance.
I had a most eventful journey, with several unexpected twists and turns but eventually, I made it to Melbourne, to Mums hospital bedside - and it was all totally worth it!
I can't finish this entry without mentioning the Angels that were there every step of the way. When I realised I may have stuffed up my ticket - my husband Mick was calm and steadfast. When I was panicking in Pointe Noire airport - I was supported by Henry and the Aussie angels : James, Jeff and Jason. And then to the lovely Madagascan doctor on the plane to Jo 'burg with her encouraging French / English conversation. I know not everyone believes in angels - I find it hard not to believe when all of these people were there for me on this eventful journey. I started praying before I left the ship and stopped when I got to the hospital. And I believe everyone of these Angels were heaven sent. Thank you Angels - and thank you God

No comments:

Post a Comment