"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Friday, February 7, 2014

Ngoyo Plaines orphanage


the universal game of soccer
In keeping with our aim to make local community connections, we visited the Ngoyo Plaines orphanage last Saturday.  This orphanage is privately run and has about 30 children as young as 2 and up to teenagers.  Some of the children have disabilities.  This site is one of the Mercy Ministry sites that the organisation commits to partnering during the Field Service.
Jump rope was a hit

Our visit started off with some songs.  I've never sung "He's got the whole world in His hands"in French before.  We then moved on to "Ouvres les yeux pour mon coeur, Pere" (Open the Eyes of my heart Lord).
 Then we all did some craft together, making a cross out of a pipecleaner and beads before playing soccer, skipping ropes and chasing chickens around the compound (Only Harry did that..).  We also played Jenga and some quieter games as it was a very hot day.  It was lovely to get to know the kids and great for our boys to play with local kids their own age.  We plan to return there again soon.

Local bike shop
On the way home from the orphanage, I took photos of the streets in Pointe Noire.  I do not wish to offend anyone by taking out my camera on the street, so in the car I can be a little more surreptitious.  Hopefully, these pics give you an insight into what the city looks like.  My favourite site is the photocopier on the side of the road under an umbrella.  Talk about ingenuity!  An extension cord from somewhere trails through the dirt to a powerboard, where you may also charge your mobile phone!  The machine is protected from the weather, and you can walk past on your way to the bus stop, and copy what ever you need. Every time I see this, it makes me smile.
Fetching water



Dress shop and tailor


No comments:

Post a Comment