"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Preparing? Letting Go? Moving On?


We still don’t know if there is a family cabin onboard but should know this month. For me, I have a quiet belief that it will happen and this has helped me “let go” of some material things recently.
I had a passion for woodturning. It was really the only truly creative thing I have ever picked up, something where I take a plain piece of wood and shape it into something new, hopefully both practical and attractive. Anyway with three growing boys, a full time job, staying fit and everything else in life the lathe had not been used since before we left for London in 2006. I held onto it thinking I would one day make time again. Last time we were on our way to Africa, I even planned to store it. However this time, I thought it was better letting it go to someone who was passionate and had the time. So it all went on Ebay last week, the lathe, the chisels, the chuck, the accessories and the books. I probably only recouped 20% of the replacement value but felt a sense of release. Maybe there was always a sense of guilt that I should be making time to use it, but I think it was more about having faith that I wouldn’t need it shortly as we would be calling a ship in Africa home soon.

Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment