"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29: 11



Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Unexpected Support


When we were asked last year to re-apply to serve onboard we had to update a few details from our previous application in 2010. One of these was completing family medicals. I had to undergo a more stringent Seafarers Medical but Tam and the boys all needed to complete one with our family doctor. Well when I went to book this I was initially told it was going to be $178 each, which times-four was not cheap - $712. But then they told me to send the Mercy Ships forms and they’d look at what they could do. Well, a week later, they rang back and told us that our family doctor, Dr Adnan Khan, would do them gratis – free – for nix! What a blessing.
But wait there is more. Two years ago I had a little bike accident whilst racing and broke my collarbone (clavicle) badly requiring insertion of a 5 inch titanium plate and eight screws.

Well I wanted to investigate getting it removed before leaving for Africa, just in case it caused me any problems later, so armed with up to date x-rays I headed back to see my surgeon, Dr Simon Chan. My main concerns were when I could get it removed, how long I’d be incapacitated and what it was going to cost. I explained why I was considering having it removed and he shared how he had done some volunteer work in Africa as a young doctor. Anyway when we came to the business of what my little surgery was going to cost he said he would “no gap” me, which means I would have nothing to pay after Medicare and my health insurance fund paid their contributions. More blessings.
So my little blog today is to acknowledge and thank these two doctors, who in their own way are helping launch us on our journey to serve in Africa with a few extra dollars in the Mercy Ships fund before we leave.

Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment